Slobodan Praljak (centre) at his first sentencing hearing in 2013 (photo: Flickr/ICTY)

Bitter Legacy

30 November 2017 by Stephanie van den Berg, The Hague (The Netherlands)

After  the initial shock has faded  Justice Tribune editor Stephanie van den Berg, wonders if Slobodan Praljak's suicide in the courtroom of the Yugoslav tribunal is not in many ways a fitting ending for the court which leaves an uneasy legacy.

It was supposed to be a predictable appeals verdict in the case of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia against six Bosnian Croat officials. Important. But not one of the tribunal’s highest profile cases. And made special to a degree because it was the last verdict the ICTY would ever pronounce.

I went with a feeling of nostalgia; the end of an era for me, as the tribunal I spent so much time covering was really closing . I spent so much time in the marbled lobby of the court covering cases which included the first conviction for genocide on European soil for Bosnian Serb general Radislav Kristic and the lengthy and unpredictable trial of  former Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic.

The blog I’d prepared about the tribunal’s last cases: the life sentence for Bosnian Serb general Ratko Mladic last week and Wednesday’s appeal in the Prlic case, was going to be called “No Alarms and No Surprises” and focus on how both cases largely confirmed events that had already been proven before the ICTY and would not contribute greatly to the legacy and the jurisprudence of the court.

But then at a little after 11:30 am just after judges read out a verdict confirming his 20-year sentence for crimes against Muslims in and around Mostar, 72-year-old Slobodan Praljak, stood up to tell the court: “Slobodan Praljak is not a war criminal, I reject the verdict of this court”.

In images that now have been broadcast the world over, we saw him taking out a glass container and gulping it down, before slumping back in his chair. “I took poison,” he told the court, which then quickly lowered the blinds between the courtroom and the public gallery and summoned an ambulance.

After a few moments of disbelief and wondering if this was a theatrical gesture, I got into breaking news mode and spent the rest of the day gathering every bit of information I could for the agency. Then around 5pm the tribunal confirmed Praljak had died in hospital. Dutch authorities asked to investigate the incident said preliminary tests showed he was killed after drinking a deadly substance.

I was stunned that 24 years the ICTY would end in this, a dramatic courtroom suicide that would be all the world media would remember of the last days of the tribunal. But in a way I realized it was also a fitting ending. It shows that despite the court’s extensive verdict and its efforts to establish a historical record of what happened denial and division are still rife in the Balkans region on all sides. 

The Prlic et al case that Praljak was a part of had become highly politicized. Although the convictions were for Bosnian Croats for crimes they committed in Bosnia during the 1992-95 war, the initial verdict had concluded the men were all part of a joint criminal enterprise with wartime Croatian leader Franjo Tudjman aimed at ethnically cleansing Bosnian Muslims from Croat-claimed parts of Bosnia. Zagreb wanted that finding, which clearly links it to atrocities in Bosnia overturned, so they can maintain they had ‘clean hands’ in the bloody Bosnian conflict. Instead the appeals chamber confirmed it and in Croatia Praljak is being cast as a hero by some because he would rather die than live with the judgement.  “(Praljak) did not want to live with such a verdict," read a headline in the wide-selling Jutarnji List daily. 

 In Serbia the tabloid Informer simply headlined “Croatian Ustasha kills himself in The Hague court”. Ustasha means Croatian fascist, and using that term is deliberate.

After 24 years we can conclude that those who urged the founding of the tribunal were naïve in thinking it could lead to reconciliation. But all the ICTY’s cases and verdicts have made it much harder to deny that atrocities did happen and have show that committing atrocities have consequences. The fact that Praljak would take his own life in such a dramatic gesture also shows what a powerful institution the court had become. Simply getting up and denouncing it or insisting it is biased would have not overshadowed the findings in the verdict. Only death could cement Praljak’s martyred status. 

Related articles

article
ICTY prosecutor Serge Brammertz (Photo: Flickr/ICTY)
13 November 2017 by Boro Kontic

On the eve of the verdict in the case of Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic ICTY prosecutor Serge Brammertz has given a lengthy interview to Serbian and Bosnian media. Here is shortened version of the interview conducted by Boro Kontic which has appeared in Novi magazine and Oslobodjenje newspaper. 

 

article
Bosnian victims protesting outside the ICTY during the Karadzic judgement. The banner reads: 'Truth sometimes sleeps but never dies' (Photo: Joost van Egmond)
24 May 2016 by Joost van Egmond

“Finally, good news from The Hague!” famously cried the then Serbian prime minister Ivica Dacic at the acquittal on appeal of former Yugoslav army commander Momcilo Perisic by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. For him, and for the government he represented, this counted as vindication of Belgrade’s actions during the war. The fact that Serbia as a state had already been held partly responsible by the International Court of Justice (ICJ) for the very crimes this individual was tried for, was swept under the carpet [IJT-63].

article
Poster supporting Croatian general Ante Gotovina
23 May 2016 by Iva Vukusic in The Hague (The Netherlands)

These days Croatia is going through a surge of nationalism and historical revisionism unseen since the worst days of the war of the 1990s. The polarization in society is between those who consider the regime, known as Independent State of Croatia, a source of pride, and those who perceive it as a source of shame. The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) deals with another past, less distant, but equally painful. The population is no more open to honestly discuss it than it is the crimes of the 1940s.

article
04 April 2014 by Radosa Milutinovic, The Hague (The Netherlands)
During a month-long, high-powered legal clash Croatia and Serbia have each accused the other of genocide before the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague. 20 years after last artillery salvos announced the end of the former Yugoslavia's bloody breakdown, two of its principal republics continued to wage war, by judicial means. 
issue
22 October 2007

Germain Katanga, second Congolese transfer to the ICC

Arrested by Congolese authorities in February 2005, former militia leader Germain Katanga, alias Simba ("lion" in Swahili), was transferred from Kinshasa to The Hague on October 18. The International Criminal Court (ICC) accuses him of war crimes and crimes against humanity committed during the February 23, 2003 attack on the Bogoro village in Ituri, eastern Congo. After more than three years of investigation, the ICC now has only two suspects in custody: Katanga and former militia leader Thomas Lubanga, who was transferred from Kinshasa to The Hague on March 17, 2006.

CDF: a “legitimate” cause

You committed horrible crimes, but your struggle was legitimate and that makes a difference. That is essentially what the judges of the Special Court for Sierra Leone said on October 9 when they sentenced two leaders of the former Civil Defense Forces (CDF), high priest Allieu Kondewa and war director Moinina Fofana to 7 and 8 years in prison. They had been found guilty of war crimes on August 2. This delicate judgment, which was part of the debate during the presidential campaign, gave validity to the notion that fighting for the return to democracy is not the same as fighting against it.

Croatia proves itself

On October 15, Branimir Glavas, a retired Croatian general and long-time head of 1 of the 20 Croatian counties, entered the county court of Zagreb. He is accused of war crimes committed 16 years ago, during the war in former Yugoslavia. Leaning on a cane, this 51-year-old man, usually energetic, seemed weakened. His voice trembled as he greeted his peaceful supporters.

Brief news:

• EU-ICTY-Serbia: same carrot, same stick

• Rwanda: Double justice for Bagambiki

• Lebanon: A «panel» to select the judges

• Iraq: A judge's words

• USA-South Africa: lawsuit opened against 50 multinationals over apartheid