Bosco Ntaganda at the start of his trial (Flickr/ ICC-CPI)

Ntaganda trial is a test of OTP’s sexual violence strategy

02 September 2015 by Stephanie van den Berg, The Hague (The Netherlands)

The trial of Congolese warlord Bosco Ntaganda which opened before the International Criminal Court Wednesday is a test of the prosecutor’s new strategy to look at sexual and gender-based violence in all of the cases [IJT-179].

In this case,  for the first time, the ICC has agreed that sexual violence against child soldiers by their own commanders could constitute a war crime. 

In her opening statement prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said rape and sexual enslavement of Ntaganda’s own soldiers was so prevalent in the armed wing of the Union of Congolese Patriots (UPC) that the girls were known as “guduria”, a Swahili word for a communal cooking pot. These girls were “reduced to objects which soldiers and commanders could pass around and use for sex whenever they pleased,” she told the judges. The OTP lawyer trying the case, Nicole Samson, later said that rape occurred on such a large scale that the UPC started handing out antibiotics to combat venereal diseases.

“It is certainly not the first case where sexual violence is charged... but there has been no conviction so far,” Mariana Pena of the Open Society Justice Initiative told IJT. “This case is it a test for Bensouda’s new strategy on sexual violence,” she added.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) also highlighted the importance of the sexual violence charges in the Ntaganda case. “Given the widespread practice of sexual violence in eastern Congo where rape and sexual slavery are used as weapons of war it is important that this fourth case at the ICC includes charges of sexual violence and rape,” Geraldine Mattioli of HRW’s international justice programme said.

“This trial should be a signal that other leaders who let their troops rape women could face justice,” she told IJT.

The OTP was heavily criticized in the case against Thomas Lubanga – the Congolese warlord and head of the UPC sentenced to 14 years for enlisting child soldiers [IJT-171] – for not including sexual violence in the charges. In the Ntaganda trial, Bensouda has tried to undercut such criticism by focusing on the sexual violence component already in the confirmation of charges hearing. In addition, it has also charged Ntaganda on various modes of liability. So far trial chambers have gone for just one mode of liability, but Ntaganda has been charged on five alternative modes of liability: direct perpetration; indirect co-perpetration; ordering inducing; contribution to the commission of crimes and command responsibility where a military commander is held responsible for the crimes of his subordinates. These alternate modes of liability are also a remnant of the case against Germain Katanga, where the prosecution tried to change the mode of liability halfway which was rejected by the judges [IJT-163]. By casting their net wide the prosecution hopes to avoid a repeat.

For the defence, the wide scope of the charges presents other challenges said Ntaganda’s lawyer, Stephane Bourgon, who characterized the case as “the largest and most complex before the ICC to this day”.

The opening statements continue Wednesday to Friday, and the first witness will take the stand on 15 September.  

Related articles

article
14 May 2014 by Louise Jones, Goma (DRC)

Last week a military court in Goma, in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), delivered a long-awaited judgment. For the past six months, 39 soldiers of the Congolese army were on trial for war crimes including looting, mass rape and murder. But to the disappointment of the 190 victims who had filed a complaint as civil parties, only two soldiers were convicted of rape and all the officers but one cleared. The remaining 25 men were convicted, mainly, of looting and indiscipline.

article
11 June 2014 by IJT

Bosco Ntaganda will be tried by the International Criminal Court (ICC), pre-trial judges confirmed on Monday, having reviewed 69,000 pages of evidence submitted by the prosecution. Ten years after the opening of ICC investigations in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and eight years after the first arrest warrant against him [IJT-88IJT-83], Ntaganda becomes the fourth person to be charged by the universal court for crimes committed in the Eastern Ituri province.

article
Bosco Ntaganda, for whom the ICC pre-trial chamber unanimously confirmed all charges of sexual and gender-based crimes (Photo: Flickr/ICC-CPI)
06 April 2015 by Ella Sonja West, The Hague (The Netherlands)

At the International Criminal Court (ICC), prosecuting sexual and gender-based violence has been notoriously difficult. Documentary evidence has often proved insufficient and local officials, unwilling to cooperate. Despite such challenges, the Office of the Prosecutor (OTP), since Fatou Bensouda took over in 2012, has prioritized prosecution of such crimes.

article
Laywer Stephan Bourgon at the opening of Bosco Ntaganda's trial in September 2015 (Photo: Twitter/ ICC-CPI)
09 September 2016 by Stephanie van den Berg

Former Congolese warlord Bosco Ntaganda on trial before the International Criminal Court (ICC) has gone on hunger strike to protest long-standing restrictions on his phone calls and visitors to the detention unit, his lawyer said Friday.

article
10 September 2014 by Louise Jones, Kinshasa (DRC)

Last month a small courtroom perched on a green hill in South Kivu province began hosting a trial many see as a crucial test for the Democratic Republic of Congo’s judiciary. In the dock before a three-judge panel military court is Colonel Bedi Mobuli Engangela, an army officer once one of the most feared men in eastern Congo.